"A wide-ranging collection of speeches and a worthwhile resource for students of American history." —Booklist
"A golden celebration of the multicultural voices who demand the U.S.—and the world—do better." —Kirkus
"An important addition to American history collections." —School Library Journal
Strong Voices: Fifteen American Speeches Worth Knowing is a collection of significant speeches, made both by those who held the reins of power and those who didn’t, at significant times in American history. Read the original words—sometimes abridged and sometimes in their entirety—that have shaped our cultural fabric.
Introductions by acclaimed writer Tonya Bolden provide historical context and critical insights to the meaning and impact of every speech. Illustrations by award-winning artist Eric Velasquez illuminate what it was really like at each moment in history. This collection includes the following:
- Patrick Henry, “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death”
- George Washington, Farewell Address
- Red Jacket, “We Never Quarrel about Religion”
- Frederick Douglass, “What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?”
- Sojourner Truth, “I Am a Woman’s Rights”
- Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address
- Theodore Roosevelt, “Citizenship in a Republic”
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, “The Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”
- Lou Gehrig, “Farewell to Baseball”
- Langston Hughes, “On the Blacklist All Our Lives”
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy, “We Choose to Go to the Moon”
- Martin Luther King, Jr., “I Have a Dream”
- Fannie Lou Hamer, “I Question America”
- Cesar Chavez, Address to the Commonwealth Club of California, 1984
- Hillary Rodham Clinton, “Women’s Rights Are Human Rights”
Strong Voices includes a foreword by #1 New York Times bestselling author and celebrated journalist Cokie Roberts, as well as a timeline in the back of the book, along with letters to the reader from Tonya Bolden and Eric Velasquez.
Strong Voices is a tremendous introduction to the extraordinary words spoken in history.
Supplemental enhancement PDF accompanies the audiobook.
|Available Formats :||CD, Library CD, MP3 CD|
To listen to this title you will need our latest app
Due to publishing rights this title requires DRM and can only be listened to in the Blackstone Library Beta app
DRM (Digital Rights Management) is a copyright protection for digital media. While much of Blackstone Library Beta’s content is DRM free, and allows for usage across platforms, select products on Blackstone Library Beta are required by publishers to have DRM protected files. These products will be playable exclusively on the BlackstoneLibrary.com apps, available for iOS and Android devices.